Join me in this episode of the Functional Freedom Podcast where I interview Colin Milner an international expert on the subject of aging and it’s impact on older adults and societies. By the year 2017, that’s less than 5 years away, the 50+ market will make up 50% of the U.S. population. That’s 1 out of 2 adults. This demographic has a great need to stay healthy and independent for as long as possible. Most of them will probably require professional assistance as they manage change as they grow older. My conversation with Colin will help you broaden your perspective on how you might serve the 50+ market and develop a business opportunity for your practice.
Colin Milner is the Founder and CEO of the International Council on Active Aging(ICAA). The ICAA is an association that leads and supports orgnaizations and professionals to develop wellness environments and services for adults over the age of 50.
Colin’s writings and speeches have inspired thousands of businesses, government leaders and industry professionals worldwide. It’s his mission is to influence society’s perceptions of aging and improve the quality of life for older adults.
ICAA is rooted in the principle of active aging – the conviction that people can significantly improve the quality of their later years by staying active and fully engaged in life. I believe, like ICAA, that all individuals have the capability of embracing life within the dimensions of wellness. Therapists that study the needs and issues of older adults and become specialists in this area will be booked solid with active adults seeking to improve their wellbeing.
In this episode, we cover:
- How Colin started his international organization literally in his kitchen
- How ICAA’s mission took them to the World Economic Forum, European Commission, and the White House
- The importance of the continuum of wellness and integration with other health professionals
- How to prepare your practice for the global aging phenomenon
- Colin’s valuable tip on what he would do first if he was opening a practice today
- And so much more!!
Items mentioned in this episode:
- ICCA Website: http://www.icaa.cc
- Nine Principles of Active Aging: http://icaa.cc/activeagingandwellness/activeaging.htm
- Meet some Rock Stars of Aging: https://growingbolder.com
A big thank you to Colin for sharing such great information with us!